Traveller: New Rome
There are 20 different aptitudes. Mainly, these represent things that the dynasty can do or an action the dynasty can perform. These actions take 2-12 months to complete.
Each aptitude is described below with several examples of possible actions a dynasty can take using that aptitude.
Procure physical things.
- Gather resources or rare materials.
- Secure a specific artifact or unique object possessed by another Dynasty.
Function inside the world of big business and corporate industry.
- Adjust wages to the desires of management and its members.
- Hire appropriate executive staff.
- Incorporate the military.
Steal resources, power, or territory from others.
- Claim neutral territory or resources.
- Invade another dynasty’s territory and claim it.
- Start a war with another dynasty.
Handle investments, purchases, wealth, and monetary funding.
- Invest wisely for the future.
- Make heavy short-term profits.
- Recognize fiscal trending.
- Usurp invested wealth from rivals.
Increase quality of life, mood, and loyalty for members. Attract outsiders to an alliance or peaceful notion.
- Attract new allies.
- Hold benefactor gala event.
- Maintain member mood and loyalty of members.
Demonstrate the dynasty’s worldview to outsiders.
- Intimidate rivals.
- Make the public understand what the dynasty is doing.
Crush rivals with direct and violent action.
- Attack rival territory with ambush combat agents.
- Support terrorism that targets rivals.
Act immorally or outside the scope of the law.
- Organize street thugs and other criminals into a cohesive profit source.
- Run a pyramid or Ponzi scheme.
- Smuggle illegal resources.
- Steal industry data from rival.
Seek out and decipher information.
- Learn a new fact.
- Reveal a secret about a rival.
- Verify rumors or gossip.
Ensure the proper functioning of the dynasty.
- Continue positive reinforcement toward members.
- Quell troubles within the members.
- Stop funding leakages.
Participate in the world of government, and manipulate and influence it.
- Adjust legal codes to better suit goals.
- Create co-existence with local government.
- Set governing agents to investigate rivals.
- Turn local government against an enemy.
Intimidate others to back down using social pressure and psychological leverage.
- Intimidate others to do your bidding.
- Scare away potential threats.
Use gossip, media, and rumor to sway the public.
- Create a damaging controversy.
- Make the people believe false stories.
- Run a smear campaign.
Deal with people earnestly through difficult problems without coming off as dictatorial.
- Increase public opinion of the dynasty.
- Teach the people to work with the dynasty.
Increase loyal membership in the dynasty.
- Hire a team of high-profile specialists.
- Hold a massive drive for members.
- Make counter-offers to a rival workforce.
Explore ideas of higher technological advances and understand alien technologies.
- Copy scientific data from rival.
- Invent a new technological marvel.
- Invent new weapon technology.
- Utilize new science in controlled industries.
Harm rivals with dirty tricks and underhanded attacks.
- Begin a proxy war between rivals.
- Manipulate government through guerrilla action.
- Perform industrial terrorism on a rival.
Protect secrets, defend territories, maintain the safety of the people.
- Protect resources and assets from outside threats.
Succeed on battlefields and in theaters of conflict.
- Cease an ongoing military action.
- Move martial assets to prepare for war.
Learn new things and pass them onto later generations.
- Apply new learning techniques to children.
- Discover a new way to teach in the universities.
- Focus on schooling deficiencies.